Diversity & inclusion
Why it is important:
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, where people from different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences are recognised and valued. For Scentre Group, diversity includes, but is not limited to, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion and cultural background. Inclusion is about developing a culture where all employees can thrive and feel supported to bring their whole selves to work.
Our engagement with stakeholders:
We engage with our people across the organisation through consistent leadership, training of managers, the provision of toolkits and ongoing communication of successes. We engage with our female employees through our Connect Network, and with our parents through our Parents Connect program. Feedback from the Connect Network helps Scentre Group provide greater workplace flexibility and understand any potential career barriers.
Our management approach:
Objectives: Increase attraction and retention of a diverse workforce; provide a supportive work environment for everyone; and raise awareness.
Management: Human resources committee assists the Board by overseeing the human resources policies, including policies that promote and support equal opportunity and diversity within the Group. The D&I Council (chaired by the Director of Design and Construction) includes management representatives from across the organisation and assists the Executive to implement the D&I plan.
Measurement: We measure diversity through various gender and ethnicity people diversity metrics. We measure inclusion through our employee survey and people metrics, including workplace flexibility.
Our 2016 results:
- Launched Reconciliation Action Plan
- Our Connect Network for women expanded to NZ, QLD
- Released mental health and wellness campaigns
- Supported Wear It Purple Day
- Launched Domestic Violence Policy
Our future programs and initiatives:
- Develop plans for female and Indigenous employment and development
- Develop plans to support strategies for Mental Health and the LGBTI community
- Promote participation in cultural days of significance
- Support staff wellbeing through the Lifestyle and Wellness strategy and other activities
- Execute the D&I communication plan